January 14, 2021
THIS NOTE UPDATES AND REPLACES ALL PREVIOUS MEMBER NOTICES PROVIDED ON THE JANUARY 2021 STATE OF EMERGENCY AND EMERGENCY ORDERS
Late last night, the government posted the updated Emergency Orders Regulations put in place under the current state of emergency to battle COVID-19. Read the regulations and more general information.
Relevant sections of the regulations as they pertain to construction have been extracted and posted to the BILD website for ease of reference.
The regulations have provided additional clarity, and under section (i) sub (ii) there is no date threshold for condominium construction so work on these types of projects may continue uninterrupted.
Key sections on what is deemed an essential workplace are extracted below for your information:
43. Construction activities or projects and related services, including land surveying and demolition services, that,
(i) are related to residential construction projects where,
- (i) a building permit has been granted for a single family, semi-detached and townhomes,
- (ii) the project is a condominium, mixed-use or other residential building, or
- (iii) the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction work that was started before January 12, 2021;
(j) prepare a site for an institutional, commercial, industrial or residential development, including any necessary excavation, grading, roads or utilities infrastructure;
(k) are necessary to temporarily close construction sites that have paused, or that are not active, to ensure ongoing public safety;
Real estate (including pre-sale construction)
- No open houses - showing a property permitted by appointment only
Work from home except where necessary
- Each person responsible for a business or organization that is open shall ensure that any person who performs work for the business or organization conducts their work remotely, with limited exception, for instance, where the nature of their work requires them to be on-site at the workplace.
Construction-specific guidance on health and safety protocols
- It is expected that in the next few days, the Ministry of Labour will provide additional construction-specific guidance that will need to be implemented on job sites across Ontario.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Justin Sherwood, Paula Tenuta or Dave Wilkes.